Monday, February 20, 2012

AMOS: 19 admittedly late


Keeping it pretty musical around here. Nothing like a slow build to really appreciate the gravity of the crescendo. Paris in the 1920's, what I would give to experience that. Where I can live it is through Ravel's Bolero. Two recordings grace my collection so, I decided to take the Pepsi challenge. In the left corner, the Boston Symphony Orchestra lead by Charles Munch. In the right corner, the New York Philharmonic lead by Leonard Bernstein. A classic tete a tete. I can almost see the ballet dancers floating through my living room. Beginning as a single cell organism and ending like a party of drunken elephants and rhinoceroses trudging through the jungle. The recording lead by Bernstein has a particular, inexplicable refinement that rises to the top. Play it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment