Sunday, January 15, 2012

This Rose Will Never Die



The in-laws were at our house today so, what could-a/should-a been a Sunday morning record ends up being some soulful jams in the evening time.
The pure emotion that Mr. Yusuf Islam can deliver in a simple chord and phrase is truly arresting. When music was everything in my world, back in the days of early adulthood, I found Tea for the Tillerman (I no longer have a copy of this album or else that may have been today's selection, but I digress). Sometime later I discovered the film Harold and Maude; a fantastic story with a great soundtrack (Which was not officially released until 2007, crazy. I was unawares when it hit the music stores back then. And now, I am not sure if I want to fork over the 100's of dollars for this rare, even if recent, release. Maybe a re-release is in our future? Again, I digress). I was young, and in love and those words meant so, so much. A few of the tracks from the film can be found on Mona Bone Jakon, released the summer before the triple platinum, Tea for the Tillerman. No less, I now find myself young, if just at heart, and very much in love. Once again feeling every sappy drip off of the ceiling of my emotion. Every time I spin this record it pulls at my heart strings. It reminds me of the times of intense feelings and discovery; the eagerness of experiencing what is to come. Those times have come full circle to where I find myself now, with a great eagerness to experience what is to come.
The first time I remember hearing the sounds of Cat Stevens was as a child. My father most definitely shared some of the glory hippy days of old. In fact, he and I were together when I purchased my copy of this fine record. I look forward to passing on the sweet, solumn sounds of heart felt folk songs wafting from the hi-fi for the young ears that are about to enter this wild world. The next time I post I could very well be a father myself. Damn, think I'll spin this record again, and play it loud for my baby in the womb. No time like the present!

I think I see the light coming to me, coming through me, giving me a second sight. So, shine, shine, shine...

No comments:

Post a Comment